Noise App

Who do I contact regarding updates on my case?

You need to contact the reporting organization you selected for the submitted case, which can be found within your case...

How can I get access to my recordings?

Contact your reporting organisation, as they are your Data Controller. Data requests should be directed to them, and they usually...

I want to share my case with a secondary organisation. How do I do this?

Speak to your reporting organisation, as they are the data controllers. If you need assistance Email support at

Can I delete individual recordings?

You cannot delete recordings once you have submitted your report. However, you can request your reporting organisation to delete your...

How do I view messages from the officer dealing with my case?

Go to the ‘Notifications’ tab on the app and select the relevant case.