Contents Insurance

Bron Afon understands the importance of protecting your home, which is why they offer insurance coverage for the structure of your property. However, it’s essential to recognise that this coverage does not extend to the contents inside your home, such as furniture and personal belongings.

View Guide

What your property will be covered against. 

Contents insurance covers a range of incidents, including fire, theft, flooding or escape of water, and accidental damage. It provides financial protection for your personal belongings in case any of these events occur.

Who does Bron Afon work with?

Bron Afon Community Housing works with one of the UK’s largest insurers to offer home contents insurance that can be paid in weekly instalments. Unlike some insurance policies, there are no excesses so you will not have to pay anything if you make a claim. For more information and to apply on-line please click here, or contact us on 01633 620111.

Useful Guide

Read the important information (including premiums) for this cover and  the summary of cover, in  the policy guide here.

Please visit our Self Help Guides for more information and support.

Acceptance limits may apply for conviction and claims experience.
The policy is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Aviva Insurance Limited, Registered in Scotland Number 2116. Registered Office: Pitheavlis, Perth PH2 0NH. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. FP.ENT.646.RR

Please visit our Self Help Guides for more information and support.

Do you have a noise complaint?

If your complaint is in relation to noise nuisance you can download ‘The noise app’. This app uses your smartphone to make recordings of noise nuisance which can be sent directly to us. We will be able to investigate these recordings and keep you informed throughout the investigation.

Download Noise App