1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. Rent
  4. What support can I get to pay my rent?

What support can I get to pay my rent?

Grants, services and advice to help with paying your rent and other essential costs 

There are several organisations that can support you with grants, services and advice to help with claiming benefits and paying your rent, energy bills or other essential costs. Here are details of some of them: 

Cost of Living and benefits advice 

Advicelink Cymru: ‘Claim what’s yours’ helpline: 0808 250 5700

Citizens Advice: help with things like the Cost of Living, grants and benefits and bills 

Cost of Living support – Torfaen Council. 

Get help with the cost of living | GOV.WALES 

Nifty Thrifty Torfaen newsletter brings you regular updates about the latest benefits, grants and support available to help you save money 

Turn2Us: for information on benefits and other support  


Discretionary Housing Payments: financial support to help with rent or housing costs. 

Essential Living Costs 

Discretionary Assistance Fund: Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP). A grant to help pay for essential costs such as food, gas, electricity, clothing or emergency travel if you: 

  • are experiencing extreme financial hardship 
  • have lost your job 
  • have applied for benefits and are waiting for your first payment 

You cannot use it to pay for ongoing bills that you cannot afford to pay 

Family Fund: provides a wide range of grants to families living in Wales, who are raising a disabled or seriously ill child, or young adult, on a low income. 

Social tariffs: Cheaper broadband and phone packages – Ofcom Discounted broadband 

Ask for “Jesse” in Boots – Free dental products for 3-5yrs 

Ask for “Sandy” in Morrisons -2 free period pads 

Energy and water 

British Gas Energy Trust Fund: for customers of British Gas and other utility providers. Help with white goods and utility arrears.  You will require debt advice. 

Other energy supplier grants: your energy supplier may offer grants if you are falling into debt with them. Find your supplier below to see if you can apply: 

NEA – National Energy Action Charity 

Warm Wales Project: support and advice if you’re looking for information or help with home energy queries. 

Warm & Well: energy advice and fuel support if Discretionary Assistance Fund has been exhausted.  

Welsh Water-Helpu/Water Assist: find out if you may be able to reduce your water bills.

Debt Advice 

Step Change: help to get your finances back on track 

Christians Against Poverty: free help to get out of debt, budgeting, making your money go further or help finding a job 


Foodbanks and food at a reduced price 

Connect Torfaen: information on foodbanks, food hubs, Food Share and warm hubs 

Eastern Valley Foodbank: details of local foodbanks (voucher referral is needed) 

Too Good To Go app: download the app to find out about local supermarkets and shops that are giving away bundles of food at a reduced price that would normally go to waste. 

You can view a guide on local foodbanks here.  

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles

Need Support?

Can't find the answer you're looking for?
Contact Support