Gas is dangerous! If an appliance is not working properly it can give out carbon monoxide fumes. You cannot smell, taste, or see carbon monoxide. If you are exposed to carbon monoxide even for a short period of time, it can cause serious injury or even death.
If you have a gas installation in your home we will check it every year to protect you from any potential hazards such as carbon monoxide.
By law we must:
Repair and maintain gas pipework, flues, and appliances in a safe condition. We do not maintain your own appliances, such as cookers but we do make sure they are safe to use. If they are not, we will turn them off and disconnect them for your safety.
Ensure a yearly gas service and safety check is carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer on each appliance, pipework, and flue.
Keep a record of each gas service and safety check. When your gas service and safety check is due, we will contact you with an appointment.
It is important that you:
Reply quickly when you receive your annual gas service and safety check appointment. If it is not a suitable time for you, we will be happy to rearrange your appointment.
Allow us access to your home at the agreed appointment time to carry out repairs or the annual gas service and safety check.
Tell us of any faults or damage to any gas appliance immediately.
Make sure any air vents are not blocked up if you have a gas appliance.
We will also disconnect any of your own appliances if they are unsafe.
If we do not gain access to your home to carry out the gas service and safety check, we will take legal action and recharge you the costs.