1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. Understanding your annual rent
  4. I claim Universal Credit, what do I need to do?

I claim Universal Credit, what do I need to do?

If you are claiming Universal Credit it is your responsibility to notify the DWP of the rent increase. This can be done by reporting a change of circumstances on your online universal
credit account. You can only do this when the new rent amounts are charged from the April 3rd 2023. You should remember to only include eligible charges.

An eligible charge is a charge that can be included in Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit. For example, the rent charge and any communal charges that make up your total rent.  A charge that is personal to you such as your water or personal gas and electric charge, is not an eligible charge.

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles

Need Support?

Can't find the answer you're looking for?
Contact Support