Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) – can kill but you can’t see, taste it or smell it.

  • If your carbon monoxide detector makes a sound for no reason call 0800 111 999.

CO is toxic, colourless, tasteless, odourless, and non-irritant, It’s harmful to humans and animals.

What makes CO poisoning extremely dangerous is its insidious onset- and often fatal consequences.  It affects mental ability and incapacitates people without them knowing anything is wrong.  Any sudden exertion by an affected person may cause collapse, so that he or she cannot escape from the contaminated location. The result is often fatal.

Symptoms of CO poisoning

The effects of CO poisoning can be very much like flu. If you have any of these symptoms seek urgent medical advice.

  • Dizziness
  • Tiredness
  • Nausea
  • General body weakness
  • Severe headaches
  • Your face can also take on a cherry red coloured appearance.


Was this article helpful?

Related Articles

Need Support?

Can't find the answer you're looking for?
Contact Support