Please check this page regularly. It will be kept up to date with information to give you support and advice during the coronavirus situation.
We are still running services but they are affected which means we are only doing home visits in emergencies but are spending more time giving support online and over the phone.
If you need to contact us during office hours, Monday to Friday, try out our Live Chat on our site. Just click the Live Chat box at the bottom of your screen and you can be talking to one of our team within seconds.
Ian Harris runs our trades team and explains how repairs are being done differently to keep you, our customers, and our colleagues safe.
Everything we are doing is to keep you, our customers, and our staff safe at this difficult time and are grateful for your patience and support.
If you have an emergency repair such as:
- Water leaks from your plumbing system – Where water cannot be controlled
- Gas leaks or suspected gas leaks
- Suspected carbon monoxide
- Severe water leak, causing your home to flood
- Water leaks that effect electrics
- Serious electrical faults
- Complete light failure in shared areas
- Insecure ground floor of your home – Securing doors or locks to prevent someone breaking in.
- Breakdown of heating where you have no other form of heating.
- Blocked or leaking drains- Where there is a risk of flooding to your home.
- No useable toilet due to a fault or blockage.
- Structural repairs that could impact the safety of you or the public.
- Trip hazards that are uncontrollable. An example of a controllable hazard could be a hole in your garden and we could ask you to avoid going outside to stop the risk.
Please call us on 01633 620 111 (24-hours a day) to report your emergency repair or alternatively please chat to us via Live Chat (during office hours) by clicking on the Live Chat box at the bottom of your screen.
If you’re reporting a non-emergency repair you can log the repair however we won’t be able to give you an appointment until the coronavirus situation is over and we can safely visit your home. Read the story to find out why we aren’t giving appointments at the moment. Please stay safe and thank you for your understanding. You can track your repair using your My Bron Afon account.
Our maintenance work
We are only providing a basic maintenance service of:
- Fire alarm testing
- Gas servicing
- Emergency repairs.
How our service changes depending on the time
Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm We will only do emergency repairs.
5pm – 8am We will only do “life or limb” jobs, which are jobs like unsafe gas, unsafe electrics, uncontrollable leak etc.
What will happen if you come to my home?
If we come to your home we will following all guidelines around social distancing and asking you to stay in another room while the work is done. Our staff will wash their hands on arrival and before they leave your home.
- If you are self-isolating with symptoms, we will try to talk you through making the issue safe/ fixing the issue without us having to enter your home.
- If you are waiting for us to carry out a non-urgent repair please don’t contact us as it will affect the service we can provide to customers.
If you are worried about paying your rent please contact us using any of the ways listed above and one of our colleagues will be in touch.
There are simple things you can do yourself including repressurising your boiler and problems with your thermostat.
Rent and money worries
I’m worried about paying my rent. How can you help?
Contact us as soon as you have any worries about paying your rent. Everyone’s situation is different so we need to talk you about your circumstances and offer you individual help.
One of our colleagues will also make sure you are claiming any money or benefits you are entitled to during this difficult time.
If you receive housing benefit for Universal Credit you may be eligible for discretionary housing payment.
I’m worried about paying my council tax. How can you help?
Chat to Torfaen Council if you’re having difficulty paying your council tax. They council may be able to do a few things including a check if you’re entitled to a discount or possibly spread payments over 12 months.
Find out more by clicking this link to their website. Message the council on social media, email email@example.com or call 01495 762200
I am self-isolating so using another bedroom. Will I still need to pay the Bedroom Tax?
Torfaen Council have agreed to pay a month’s full discretionary housing payment to cover the spare bedroom. Contact us and we can help you apply.
Do you have any queries about coronavirus and claiming benefits? This handy page on the Governments’ website is updated regularly with information to support those who are affected by coronavirus.
What other help is available?
Here are some of the ways other customers have found really useful.
Gas and electric supplier– contact your supplier. They may offer a discount or be able to put credit on your meter if you’re self-isolating and can’t get out of your home.
Energy firms are putting in place new measures to help prepayment customers unable to top up during the coronavirus pandemic. Money Saving Expert has listed company-by-company info in this link, but plans include posting cards loaded with emergency credit to those unable to leave home as they need to self-isolate. Please read the story to see what your supplier is doing.
Food vouchers/ parcels– If you’re experiencing major money problems our staff will help you get a food voucher or parcel.
Are you still taking on new tenants?
We aren’t doing any viewings and new tenancy sign-ups at the moment. If you are in the middle of this process we will contact you and rearrange when it is safe to do so.
I want to end my tenancy. What do I do?
Please write a Notice stating you wish to end your tenancy with us and sign it, take a photo of it and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will then give you your 4 week end of tenancy date. If you have any issues handing in your keys please email us as soon as possible.
I’ve started to end my tenancy. What do I do?
If you have already given us a Notice to end your tenancy and are due to hand in your keys but are unable to bring them to our office we will put your Notice to end your tenancy on an indefinite extension due to the current circumstances.
If this applies to you please can you request an indefinite extension to your Notice in writing via email to email@example.com
How can I hand in my keys if your office is closed?
I’m sorry but we can’t pick up your keys from you. Can you please post the keys to us at Bron Afon, William Brown Close, Llantaram Industrial Park, Cwmbran, NP44 3AB and label them with your details.
If you give your Notice in via the portal we will contact you by telephone to advise you of the end of tenancy declaration.
You can hand your Notice in and progress with ending your tenancy but we will extend the Notice period, meaning you will still be charged rent until the keys to your property are returned to us.
Will the gas engineer still be attending the gas service?
- Our gas servicing programme is seen as essential safety works by the UK Government and ensures that gas systems are safe. You allowing access to your home for us to undertake the required testing is very much appreciated to ensure the safety of you and your home.
- Your appointment will be communicated to you via letter.
- If you have a query regarding gas servicing or you need to change your appointment please contact the Gas Servicing Team on 07971625283 or 07875155698.
I have seen gathering of people in properties or communal areas.
- We have been working closely with Torfaen Council’s Community Safety team and the Police to stop gatherings. If you let us know and one of the people at the gathering is one of our tenants then we can get in touch with them and remind them of the Government advice.
My Meals on Wheels haven’t arrived
- This service is run by Torfaen Council. Please call Torfaen Council on 01495 762200.
I’m stuggling in my home and think I need some adaptions made.
- If you are struggling and think you need something like a level access shower or a stair lift please call Torfaen Council on 01495 76220 and ask to speak to an Occupation Therapy Assessment.
- ‘If you think you need something minor such as grab rail by your back door please contact us and we can look into how we can help.
Do you deal with pest control?
- No, we no longer deal with pests. However, we will come to your property to patch up any holes left by pests. Visit British Pest Control Association website for advice on dealing with different kinds of pests and finding a local pest control company.
The Welsh Government has produced a handy guide to the support and help available for tenants in Wales. Download a copy by clicking here.
Benefit Support /Council Tax
Click here for info on help and advice for things including housing and council tax benefits, backdated benefits, discretionary housing payments, the local housing allowance and Universal Credit information
Contact if your worried about council tax payments, court or bailiff action
Click here for updates on service closures and COVID-19 information.
Gateway Credit Union
Click for info on the credit union’s savings and loans. You can also call 01495 742500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Torfaen Age Connects
Visit the Age Connect Torfaen website for details of how their services are affected. Email email@example.com or call 01495 769264
Torfaen Care and Repair Service
Visit the Care and Repair website for details on how their services are affected. Call 0300 111 3333
Torfaen Family Information Service
Torfaen Care and Support Services Directory
Visit their site to find out about supporting services available in Torfaen.
- Adult social care
- Children’s Services
- Direct Payments scheme
- Family services
Torfaen Meals on Wheels
Visit their site to find out more about the service.
Public Health Wales
Visit their site for daily updates on the coronavirus situation in Wales.
Local services directory – Dewis Cymru
Dewis Cymru is a massive A-Z online directory of services in your area, from pharmacists to help groups.
Out of hours chemists
Visit this site to find out what chemists are available in the area.