My Bron Afon

Coronavirus – latest updates

Please check this page regularly. It will be kept up to date with information to give you support and advice during the coronavirus situation.

Try Live Chat

If you need to contact us during office hours, Monday to Friday, try out our Live Chat on our site. Just click the Live Chat box at the bottom of your screen and you can be talking to one of our team within seconds.



Working safely in and around your home


To help us reduce the risks in working in your home we have risk assessments for our staff to follow. They are designed to keep both you and our staff safe while we carry out repair work in and around your home. Our focus includes the key government messages of Face, Space, Hands (sanitise) and Ventilate.

This is what you can expect from us when we visit your home:

Before we visit:

  • We will ask questions about your health and that of anyone in the household.
  • We will take extra precautions to carry out emergency repairs in your home if someone is symptomatic, isolating or has tested positive
    • For households isolating we will rebook any non-emergency repairs inside the home for 14 days later

What we will do to keep you safe:

  • Our staff will not come to your home if they are symptomatic
  • We will ask the health questions about your household again when we visit before we come into your home
  • We will tell you what we have come to do and ask you to be in a different part of your home whilst we do the work
  • We will ask you to maintain social distancing at all times
  • We can work in your home without a face covering but if we need discuss something in the same room as you we will wear a face covering
  • We will ventilate enclosed areas by opening a window or door where possible
  • We will sanitise touch points – such as door handles – where we have to work before and after completing the job
  • We will let you know when we have finished the work and step outside whilst you check it
  • When we are working outside we won’t be wearing face coverings where we can maintain social distancing

What we need you to do to keep us safe:

  • We ask you to tell us when someone is symptomatic, isolating or has tested positive – we can take extra precautions for an emergency and we will rebook and come back for less urgent jobs after the isolation period of 14 days
  • We ask you to maintain social distancing at all times
    • We ask you to help us by keeping children and pets socially distanced at all times as well
  • We ask you to wear a face covering if we need to be in the same room as you to discuss anything
  • We ask you to ventilate the space that we need to work in by opening a window or door where possible

We want to keep you and our staff safe. Our staff have been told if they feel unsafe or feel our advice and guidance isn’t being followed to leave your home. Before they leave they will make what every they were working on safe. Then they will give feedback to the office about what the issues were. We’ll then talk to you before we consider booking any further appointments to return to your home and complete the job. Being safe is of utmost importance.

Our services


Are you still taking on new tenants?  

Yes, you can still apply through Homeseeker and if your bid is successful, and you need a viewing, this will be arranged. We will let you into the home but you will view it on your own and if you have to sign a tenancy agreement this will be done electronically.

I want to end my tenancy. What do I do?

There are two ways to give us ‘notice’ that you want to end your tenancy:

  1. If you have a My Bron Afon account, you can login and give us ‘notice’. We will then Contact you with your four-week end of tenancy date and details of the end of tenancy process.
  2. Or you can write us a letter (a Notice) stating that you wish to end your tenancy with us and then sign it.  Take a photo of the letter and email it to We will then contact you with your four-week end of tenancy date and details of the end of tenancy process.

I’ve started to end my tenancy. What do I do?

If you have already given us Notice to end your tenancy and are due to hand in your keys but are unable to bring them to our office please let us know as soon as possible.  We will be able to extend your Notice to end your tenancy due to the current circumstances.

If this applies to you please contact and ask for an extension to your Notice.

How can I hand in my keys?

I’m sorry but we can’t pick up your keys from you. Can you please add a label to the keys with your name, address and phone number and post them to: Bron Afon, William Brown Close, Llantaram Industrial Park, Cwmbran, NP44 3AB.

We also have a box just inside the first set of double doors in our Llantarnam office where keys can be dropped off. Our offices are open between 7.30am – 5pm so you will only be able to drop off keys in during these hours.

Will you still be carrying out my annual gas service?

  • Yes. Our gas servicing programme  is seen as essential safety works by the UK Government and ensures that gas systems are safe. You allowing access to your home for us to undertake the required testing is very much appreciated to ensure the safety of you and your home.
  • Your appointment will be communicated to you via letter.
  • If you have a query regarding gas servicing or you need to change your appointment please contact the Gas Servicing Team on 07971625283 or 07875155698.

I’m stuggling in my home and think I need some adaptions made.

  • If you are struggling and think you need something like a level access shower or a stair lift please call Torfaen Council on 01495 76220 and ask to speak to  an Occupation Therapy Assessment.
  • ‘If you think you need something minor such as grab rail by your back door please contact us and we can look into how we can help.


Non-emergency repairs

I reported a non-urgent repair. When will it be done?

If you have already reported a repair there is no need to contact us unless it is now an emergency as our team will be in touch with you to book an appointment when one is available. You can check your My Bron Afon account at any time for confirmation that your repair is on our system.

What safety measures are in place to keep me safe when you are in my home?

Every member of our staff has been trained and safety is always at the forefront of our minds. When we give you an appointment we will ask you some questions to find out if you or anyone in your home has symptoms, is isolating or has been abroad.

  • On the day of the appointment our staff will ask you the same questions by calling you and then checking again when they arrive at your home.
  • We will explain what we are going to do and ask you to stay in another part of your home while we do the work.
  • We will wear a face covering when we are in any enclosed space with you.
  • We will wipe down anything we have touched when we finish.
  • We’d also ask you to maintain social distancing at all times.

I have logged a non-urgent repair but do not want you to come into my home.

Speak to us and we may be able to put your mind at ease with the safety precautions we are taking. If you still don’t want us to do this work right now then we can cancel your request. As soon as you are comfortable for us to come into your home you can use your My Bron Afon account to tell us about your repair.

Will you still be carrying out my annual gas service?

  • Yes. Our gas servicing programme is seen as essential work by the government and ensures that your home is safe. We really appreciate you allowing us into your home to do the checks.
  • We will write to you with an appointment.
  • Call our gas servicing team on 07971 625283 or 07875 155698 if you have any questions or need to change your appointment.

Emergency repairs

Please call us on 01633 620 111 (24-hours a day) to report your emergency repair or alternatively please chat to us via Live Chat (during office hours) by clicking on the Live Chat box at the bottom of your screen.

Emergency repairs include:

  • Water leaks from your plumbing system – Where water cannot be controlled
  • Gas leaks or suspected gas leaks
  • Suspected carbon monoxide
  • Severe water leak, causing your home to flood
  • Water leaks that effect electrics
  • Serious electrical faults
  • Complete light failure in shared areas
  • Insecure ground floor of your home – Securing doors or locks to prevent someone breaking in.
  • Breakdown of heating where you have no other form of heating.
  • Blocked or leaking drains- Where there is a risk of flooding to your home.
  • No useable toilet due to a fault or blockage.
  • Structural repairs that could impact the safety of you or the public.
  • Trip hazards that are uncontrollable. An example of a controllable hazard could be a hole in your garden and we could ask you to avoid going outside to stop the risk.


Rent and money worries


We are here to help. Watch this short video to see some of the ways we can support you during this challenging time.

I’m worried about paying my rent. How can you help?

Contact us as soon as you have any worries about paying your rent. Everyone’s situation is different so we need to talk you about your circumstances and offer you individual help.

One of our colleagues will also make sure you are claiming any money or benefits you are entitled to during this difficult time.

If you receive housing benefit for Universal Credit you may be eligible for  discretionary housing payment.

I’m worried about paying my council tax. How can you help?

Chat to Torfaen Council if you’re having difficulty paying your council tax. They council may be able to do a few things including a check if you’re entitled to a discount or possibly spread payments over 12 months.

Find out more by clicking this link to their website. Message the council on social media, email or call 01495 762200

I am self-isolating so using another bedroom. Will I still need to pay the Bedroom Tax?

Torfaen Council have agreed to pay a month’s full discretionary housing payment to cover the spare bedroom. Contact us and we can help you apply.


DIY videos

There are simple things you can do yourself including repressurising your boiler and problems with your thermostat.

You can view more of our videos here.


Do you have any queries about coronavirus and claiming benefits? This handy page on the Governments’ website is updated regularly with information to support those who are affected by coronavirus.

Gas and electric supplier– contact your supplier. They may offer a discount or be able to put credit on your meter if you’re self-isolating and can’t get out of your home.

Energy firms are putting in place new measures to help prepayment customers unable to top up during the coronavirus pandemic. Money Saving Expert has listed company-by-company info in this link.

Welsh Water– You may qualify for help on your water bill. Talk to us, or visit Welsh Water’s webite’s help page. Their HelpU scheme is for customers on low incomes.

Food vouchers/ parcels– If you’re experiencing major money problems our staff will help you get a food voucher or parcel.

I have an appointment for a repair or a home visit. What can I expect?

We are working hard to keep our services running and following all the guidance to keep your and our colleagues safe.

As long as you (or anyone in your home) is not showing any symptoms of coronavirus or are self-isolating for any reason we are able to visit you following our safety steps- but we also need your support.

  • We will check on the health of you and others in your home when the job is booked in and before we enter your home. If you have symptoms  book a test on the Government site.
  • If it’s a repair visit please go to another room so our tradesperson can carry out the work alone.
  • If it’s a home visit our colleague will keep the time they spend with you as short as possible.
  • Maintain social distancing all times- please keep a distance of at least two metres from our colleague.
  • Please be in at the appointment time. This really helps us so we don’t have to rearrange visits.



Minor works

This includes items like handrails, stair rails, grab rails, external lighting and lever taps.

My minor adaption request was made before March 23rd when will it be done?

The adaptions team are now working through these requests and allocating these works to contractors. Once this has been done the contractor will contact you to arrange the work.

My minor adaption request was made after March 23rd when will it be done?

The adaptions team are now surveying and assessing the internal adaption requests made before this time and will be allocating the works to contractors within the next few weeks.  Once appointed the contractor will in the touch with the tenant to arrange the start of the works.

I requested a minor adaption after March 23rd (but before January 2021), when is someone attending?

The backlog of work is all allocated out with contractors, who will make contact with the tenant to arrange the work. It is hoped that this will all be completed by March 31st.


Major works

This includes work like stairlifts, level access showers and lifts.

There has been a request made for me to have a stairlift, when will this be fitted?
Our adaptions team are starting to progress with the installation of stairlifts and all outstanding works are now in the process of being allocated to contractors. Once appointed they will contact you to arrange an appointment.

I have requested a Level Access Shower or other internal major works, is there an update on when this might be completed?
We are currently reviewing how we get this work done and each customer will be contacted over the coming weeks to discuss their situation and the outcome of this conversation that will determine whether the works go ahead or not. If they do, then we can allocate to a contractor who should complete the work by September or October this year. If they don’t, then this could extend to end 2020 or beginning of 2021 (given that there is not a second wave)

When will my external major works be completed?
All outstanding major external work is currently allocated or being allocated and will be completed in the next few weeks. We will be in contact shortly to arrange an appointment.


New adaption requests

If a tenant requests a minor adaption please email the adaptations team and ask for the minor adaptions request form and email it back to us.

If a major adaptation is being requested such as a level access shower or a stair lift the tenant would need to contact TCBC for an Occupation Therapy Assessment.


Helpful information


Welsh Government

The Welsh Government has produced a handy guide to the support and help available for tenants in Wales. Download a copy by clicking here.

Benefit Support /Council Tax

Click here for info on help and advice for things including housing and council tax benefits, backdated benefits, discretionary housing payments, the local housing allowance and Universal Credit information

Contact the council if you’re worried about council tax payments, court or bailiff action

Torfaen Council

Click here for updates on service closures and COVID-19 information.

Gateway Credit Union

Click for info on the credit union’s savings and loans. You can also call 01495 742500 or email

Torfaen Age Connects

Visit the Age Connect Torfaen website for details of how their services are affected. Email or call 01495 769264

Torfaen Care and Repair Service

Visit the Care and Repair website for details on how their services are affected. Call 0300 111 3333

Torfaen Family Information Service

Visit their website for a Guide to Family support services. Call 0800 0196330 or email

Torfaen Care and Support Services Directory

Visit their site to find out about  supporting services available in Torfaen.

  • Adult social care
  • Children’s Services
  • Direct Payments scheme
  • Safeguarding
  • Family services

Torfaen Meals on Wheels

Visit their site to find out more about the service.

Public Health Wales

Visit their site for daily updates on the coronavirus situation in Wales.

Local services directory – Dewis Cymru

Dewis Cymru is a massive A-Z online directory of services in your area, from pharmacists to help groups.

Out of hours chemists

Visit this site to find out what chemists are available in the area.

Contacting us