If you need our Corporate plan as a PDF you can find it here. (PDF, 8 Pages, 1.87 MB)
We worked with our members, staff and partners to decide what our priorities for the next five years should be. This plan sets out the sort of organisation we want to be, the areas of work that we think are most important heading towards 2023, and how we’ll keep everyone informed about our progress.
As an organisation that’s owned by the local community we feel proud of our achievements over the last ten years, whilst recognising that there’s much more that we can do to improve the
lives of people living across Torfaen and beyond. We will work tirelessly to continue to prove the value of Bron Afon not just to its customers, but also to the wider community
Bron Afon’s ambition is to create flourishing communities in our part of Wales, where everyone has a quality home to live in and where people who need it are supported and encouraged.
In 2023, led by our members, Bron Afon:
- will be an agile, effective and efficient business, delivering the services our tenants and customers need;
- will provide a powerful voice and a trusted presence for those who need us;
- and will have built hundreds of new homes and created thousands of life changing opportunities.
“We will work tirelessly to continue to prove the value of Bron Afon not just to its customers, but
also to the wider community.”
Our values are important to us and guide how we work. They were developed with our members, staff and partners.
You won’t just see them on our walls and website. You will feel them whenever you are involved with us.
We will make lots of decisions over the next five years to make this Corporate Plan a success but our values will stay the same. Not one word of them will change. They will help make sure our
decisions are the right ones.
They are REAL.
We value everyone, and treat all fairly, politely, with dignity and respect.
We are proud to be owned by the community. We support and involve others in shaping what we do to make lives better.
We bring passion, creativity and commitment to what we do and want to be the best. We take pride in our work and celebrate successes.
We listen to understand what’s important. We are caring, responsive and open to change and improvement.
Our members, staff and partners helped us to form clear ideas of the commitments that we need to meet over the next five years. When we say ‘customers’ in this plan, we mean our
tenants, leaseholders and other service users. If we are providing a service for just one of these groups, we refer to them individually.
We’ve grouped these commitments together into themes which reflect what we do, which is:
Investing in people, homes and communities
“Meeting all of these commitments won’t be easy. There will be tough decisions that we need to
take as a business with the help of our members, staff and partners.”
To help people to be happy in their homes by:
- Understanding the needs of new home seekers even before they become tenants.
- Providing housing management services that adapt to the current and future needs of our customers.
- Tackling anti-social behaviour robustly, quickly and fairly.
To help our customers to be more independent by:
- Supporting our customers to increase and manage their income.
- Enabling our customers to access volunteering, training and employment.
- Helping those who are vulnerable to live independently in their homes.
To provide services for our customers that are shaped by them by:
- Listening to our customers’ views and acting on them.
- Involving our customers right at the start when services need to change.
- Understanding our customers so that they can access our services easily.
- Delivering services in the way that meets our customers’ needs.
- Making sure our customers have opportunities to tell us how we’re doing.
To provide high quality homes that everyone is proud of by:
- Minimising the amount of time our homes are empty.
- Being clear and consistent with tenants and leaseholders on our responsibilities to each other.
- Making our homes as efficient as possible to reduce the cost of living in them.
- Investing wisely in our existing homes.
To build and retain homes that are fit for the future by:
- Purchasing, converting and refurbishing empty properties to bring them back into use.
- Building new properties right across the Borough and beyond.
- Building innovative and specialist properties to meet the needs of specific groups of people.
- Building new homes for sale and using the profit for social housing
To support our communities to help themselves by:
- Making best use of our assets.
- Making the most of community benefits in our contracts.
- Making a visible difference and being around for the long term.
- Enabling communities to develop their own local plans.
- Act as an advocate for our communities and residents.
To ensure our communities are safe and attractive environments by:
- Reducing anti-social behaviour.
- Helping create a sense of pride in where we live and work.
- Working with others continually to improve our neighbourhoods.
- Talking to the community aboutimproving local facilities whenever we make a major investment.
- Playing our part in the regeneration of communities.
To have a great reputation by:
- Delivering our services with a strong customer focus.
- Developing great stakeholder relationships.
- Ensuring our financial sustainability and demonstrating relentless attention to our value for money.
- Being an influential partner for Welsh Government and others.
- Being a partner of choice across our area of operation.
To develop our organisation to meet our business needs by:
- Investing in technology to develop our business.
- Reviewing our systems, structures and processes so we can achieve what we set out to.
- Developing employee engagement, management and leadership, and our approach to reward and recognition.
- Ensuring our values are at the heart of everything that we do.
- Generating and enabling new business opportunities.
To support our staff to realise their full potential by:
- Helping employees with wellbeing and to balance work-life demands.
- Investing in learning and development at all levels.
- Providing training placements, learning, and work opportunities including apprenticeships.
We have set some challenging targets for our Corporate Plan.
- 85% of tenants satisfied that Bron Afon listens to their views and acts on them.
- 90% say it’s easy to do business with us.
- 450 homes.
- 100% of our homes will meet a new Bron Afon Homes Standard.
- 90% tenants will say their local area is clean and tidy.
- 2,000 people each year will tell us their resilience and wellbeing has improved.
- Higher than 15% operating margin.
- Higher than 80% staff satisfaction (with employer).
Letting you know how we are doing
It’s important that we keep our members, staff and partners informed about our progress to meeting these commitments. We will do this in a number of ways, including through our
involvement activities, our annual selfassessment and our annual report.
We’ll publish our results in ways that are accessible to all to ensure that our members, staff and partners can hold us to account on our commitments.