My Bron Afon

Will you be affected by the end of the furlough scheme?

The UK Government’s furlough scheme is ending on 31 October so we’ve put together some excellent sources of information if you may be affected. A new Job Support Scheme will start but it’s important you talk to your employer now to find out about what will happen to your job.  Start to think now about how you will manage if your hours are reduced or your employer makes your role redundant.

Your rent

Talk to us as soon as you feel you may struggle to make a payment. Our dedicated team can help with support but it’s so important you talk to us as early as possible.

Bron Afon support- talk to us

We are here ready to help you. The fastest way to chat to us is using Live Chat on our website during office hours- Monday to Friday- or you can ask for support through your My Bron Afon account. If you use Facebook it’s easy to talk to us through Messenger. Our number is 01633 620 111.

Apply for benefits

Use this benefits calculator to check your claiming everything you’re entitled to.

Universal Credit is paid every month and can include elements to cover your rent. You will have a work coach who can give advice on extra support including possible funding from training.

Citizens Advice can run Help2Claim- to give you a helping hand to claim Universal Credit. Call Lisa Hamer on 01633 973568.

Help from Torfaen Council

Torfaen Council can help if you’re struggling to pay your council tax. They also have financial inclusion team who offer general advice. Call 01495 76 2200 or email

You may be eligible for a one-off Discretionary Housing Payment from the council to help with rent and arrears. You can apply online using this form.

Reduce your bills

  • If you are struggling with your gas or electric contact your energy supplier to see what support they can offer. They might offer help by reducing your direct debit or putting top-ups on pre-payment meters.
  • Welsh Water’s HelpU scheme can reduce you rates if you’re on a low income. You can apply online here or call 0800 052 0145. Use reference 3489812601 in your application.

Welsh Government Support

The Welsh Government’s Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) can help you with cash payment if you’re struggling.  Call 0800 8595924 or apply online here.

Search for grants

The Turn2us charity has a brilliant feature on their website where it can check if any grants are available to you. Fill in your info on the Turn 2 Us website.

Jobs advice

If you’re facing redundancy, looking for work or a career visit the Working Wales site for a wide range of support and advice.

Careers Wales is an excellent place to plan your career, prepare to get a job, and find and apply for the right apprenticeships, courses and training.

The government’s Find a Job site is easy to search for vacancies by area or employment sector.

Follow the Twitter account for the Jobcentre Plus team in south east Wales as they share info on job vacancies.

Interview skills

Barclay Bank’s LifeSkills is a free website that is packed with useful pages including a section to help you with job interviews. It has model answers to give inspiration, particularly for people who haven’t done an interview for a long time.

Access to work grant

This grant helps people with disabilities or health conditions start work or stay in work. It can also help you move into self-employment and start a business. To apply visit this page on the GOV.UK website. Any money you receive does not have to paid back and will not affect any other benefits you receive.

You can apply for Access to Work if you:

  • Are normally resident in, and working in, Great Britain
  • Have a disability or long term health condition that means you need an aid, adaptation or financial or human support to do your job (long term means lasting or likely to last for at least 12 months)
  • Have a mental health condition and need support in work
  • Are aged 16 or over

You must also:

  • Already be doing paid work
  • Be about to start work or become self-employed
  • Have an interview for a job
  • Be about to begin a work trial or start work experience under the Youth Contract
    arranged through Jobcentre Plus

Photo credit

Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay